Thursday, September 6, 2012

I've always depended on the kindness of strangers



This is only a 25 second video from the 1951 film adapation of Streetcar Named Desire. 

Because I'm short, I've had to live my life a little like Blanche Dubois, a tragic character in Tennessee Williams's play A Streetcar Named Desire and the 1951 film adaptation directed by Elia Kazan as played by Vivien Leigh who won an Academy Award for her performance as Blanche.  Blanche is, as the line says, dependent on the kindness of others, and, unfortunately, so am I in vulnerable moments when things are out of my toddler reach. 

Blanche is an aging Southern Belle whose beauty is fading.  She has unmentionable skeletons in her closet, and those skeletons eventually find a key to unlock the closet door.  One by one, they come out.  As they do, she descends into madness and becomes delusional about the world surrounding her.  She eventually has a nervous breakdown and a kind, patient, warm-hearted doctor comes to collect her and deposit her in a mental institution.  It's then that she delivers her famous line, "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers?"

It just so happens that I have, from time to time, depended on the kindness of strangers to reach things for me on high shelves seeing as how I'm 5'2".  It happens all the time in the grocery store.  Just today I was in Harris Teeter in the open refrigerated drink area, and a woman (a stranger to me) hollered, "Someone help that girl.  She can't reach that drink."  I was so embarassed, because, at that moment, I was standing on a flimsy shelf to give myself a boost.  A tall, female worker came running over to get me down from the shelf and get the drink I wanted.  Well, drinks, because I wanted about five.  Harris Teeter is one of the only places that sells Starbucks White Chocolate coffee energy drinks, so I buy a lot at once.  I then had to ask the tall, female worker to get me four more, which I hated to do, but I figured while she was up there why not ask.  It's all a little embarassing.  What's cute about a grown woman climbing on shelves to get something out of her toddler reach?  Nothing.  It's about as cute as the aging, disheveled Southern belle Blanche Dubois drinking herself into oblivion and having a nervous breakdown.

Every time someone helps me, I always think of Blanche Dubois and want to tell that someone with a sugary, sweet tea southern accent, "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers."  On an aside, Vivien Leigh as Blanche Dubois has always been a movie character for which I have the greatest sympathy.  Vivien plays it like a harp. 






No comments:

Post a Comment