Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Job Interviewing or Dating?

While I've been looking for employment, I've had no shortage of job interviews.  My resume gets noticed and attracts a lot of attention.  I've been called in for interviews several times, but haven't been extended a job offer.  As I go on more and more interviews, my mind keeps flitting back to the disasters of dating.  There are so many parallels between interviewing and dating that I hardly know where to begin pointing out the similarities. 

Let's start with the scheduling of an interview/date.  As a girl, you're usually ready to go out on a date as soon as possible, which is what I tell the hiring manager when I'm called for an interview, "Anytime that you're available is fine."  Then, I get all excited.  "Oh, yes, yes, yes, he likes me, he really does."  I start planning my outfit at a minimum of two days in advance.  Should I wear the khaki skirt suit or the gray pant suit?  I'll wear the pant suit, because I don't want to feel too prissy, and pants make me feel in command of the situation.  As for shoes, I can't go sensible on those.  It's not in me to wear a sensible shoe, so I go for my 4 inch, black patent leather, round toe heels.  Then, the nails.  I love a flashy color like a margarita green or a neon orange or a vampy purple, but I decide demure is best for this type of guy, so I go with a ballerina pink or a clear lacquer.  As for jewelry and hair, is a brooch too costumey and glitzy, what about pearls and a headband--too preppy, maybe a professional blow-out for my hair? I decide on a pair of diamond studs, a dressy watch, and a sleek pony tail with no hair amiss. 

I can't sleep the night before the date, because of all the excitement and the what could be and the ever after.  The day of I spend two hours getting ready.  I think of conversation that he might like and answers to questions I can anticipate being asked.  I'm nervous until we shake hands and then I feel confident and ready to impress and charm.  I leave the date thinking about negotiating the salary and whether relocating for him is worth it.  Then, he never calls me back.  I keep thinking why didn't he like me.  What could I have done differently?  Was I confident to the point of cocky?  Was I just not good enough?  Did my outfit look budget or thrown together?  Did I say something dumb?  And, if he does contact me, it's a cryptic email, not a phone call, saying he's found somebody else.  Like most of the guys I dated, I get sad for a day no more no less.  Then, I'm like "meh" and on to the next one and on to the next one and on to the next one.  I dated a lot.  I'll find my Mr. Right Job soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment