Monday, September 10, 2012

A Feminist Harp on Midol Commercial




This clip is less than 20 seconds, so you should watch it or this post is for naught. 

The first time I watched this commercial I wasn't expecting it to be a Midol commercial, at all!  First, in the opener, we have a gruff hash slinger barking, "I'm on break, sweetheart," at the diminutive, and, from the looks of those undereye bags, haggered diner waitress.  Right off the bat, I'm kind of annoyed she gets called a sweetheart.  Then, while the waitress is doubled over, from what I thought was exhaustion and defeat, the two women in clinical blue, lab coats at the lunch counter tell her, "You know you don't have to put up with this."  I just knew the "this" was going to be said hash slinger's disrespect, but stupid me was wrong.  They were telling her she didn't have to take that kind of crap from her period.  Talk about self-loathing women.  Let's allow hash slinger to talk down to us, and let's hate nature for cursing us with monthlies.  Glad to know Midol is around to ease my female burdens.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I was wondering if I was the only person slightly offended by that commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristen! That makes at least two of us! 👯

    ReplyDelete