Monday, September 24, 2012

I Did Five Unassisted Pull-Ups! Kiss it.

Just the other day, I reached my goal of being able to do five unassisted pull-ups. I've got the upper body strength of a weak kitten, so it's taken me a long time to be able to say I can do five pull-ups, which may seem like shit to you, but seems bad ass to me.

My motivation came from a place of fear all because of a horror movie I watched a year ago titled Frozen. Frozen is a nightmarish, horror movie, but there are no monsters, poltergeists, apparitions, demons, or super-human predators instead there is frostbite, wolves, sub-zero temperatures, a blizzard, and three people giving each other his or her last will and testament.

In the movie, two childhood best friends and one buttinsky girlfriend go skiing in New England. They're having an idyllic day on the slopes, but, near the end of their perfect day, a blizzard starts to roll in, and the ski resort begins closing down for precautionary measures. Wanting to get one last run down the mountain, the three convince the life operator to lift them up to the top of the mountain one last time before they have to leave. After coercion, the operator caves and allows them. Then he goes to take a leak, and, while he's away, his co-worker shuts down the lift not knowing that there are skiers riding up the lift. You know where this is headed, right?

They're stuck up there at about 75-100 feet off the ground thinking that there is a mechanical issue. They scream, but nobody comes, and, right about that time, all the lights shut down. That's when the panic starts to set in, and they realize they're going to have to survive a blizzard in a chair lift with no heat source, food, or water. The girlfriend is a stress smoker and immediately begins smoking. As she goes to pull out a another cigarette for the chain, her glove falls, and that ratchets up the intensity a few notches as her boyfriend chooses to drop down to get the glove knowing that she'll need it to protect her skin from frostbite, and he wants to make an attempt at getting help. Well, he falls wrong and breaks his leg. Later, wolves circle him and eat him. The other guy tries to monkey swing from chair lift to chair lift to get to the ground to get help, and this is why I want to be able to do a few pull-ups.

 I figure if I'm in a life or death situation, and I can do at least five pull-ups, prior to the life or deeath event, then I could muster the extra strength to do what I have to do to climb up a tree, swing from limb to limb, climb up a building, etc. to get away from my predator. No, I'm not worried about getting stuck in a chair lift. I'm worried about needing to be able to do a pull-up in a life or death situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment