Friday, September 14, 2012

There Were Communists in My Sleep

Alfred Hitchcock Presents was on the air from 1955 to around 1962 during the height of the Cold War, communism, and space exploration.  Being that television, movies, music, and books are a reflection of the social issues of the time, Alfred Hitchcock Presents had a smattering of episodes on those topics.

Not too long ago, I was watching a lot of Alfred Hitchcock Presents through Netflix, and I cherry-picked all the episodes about communism.  Being predisposed to obsessions, I wasted the better half of a day watching the communist episodes.  That night when I went to sleep I had communism on the brain.  One of the many joys of sharing a bed with me, as Brad will tell you, is that I talk in my sleep.  And I talk with lucidity, coherency, and conviction.

That night I began rambling that someone was after me.  Brad woke up, and, as usual, he encouraged me to keep on.  I repeated, in a frenzy, "They're after me, they're after me!"  He asked who, and I told him, "All the communists.  They're everywhere, everywhere.  Help me!"  He wanted to know how I knew for certain they were communists.  I got all pissed off and said, "It's not like they're wearing tee shirts that say I'm a communist."  A real smartass even in my sleep.  A proud moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment