Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Feminist Harp on Wired Magazine


I drink a lot of Diet Coke, so much that I'm embarassed by it.  I try to squirrel away the empty cans, so no one can get a total count.  I hope Brad doesn't read this.  He's a police state with my Diet Coke consuption.  For a while there, I was doing my body good and only drinking two a day and drinking 64 oz of water.  Not anymore, but I'm trying.  Bought a new Nalgene.

One of the bonuses for drinking a lot of Diet Coke is that you can collect points redeemable for prizes.  I get 3 points for a 20 oz bottle and 10 points for a 12 pack.  You can redeem your points for anything from background wallpapers to salad spinners (yes, I have one, thanks, Coke) to magazine subscriptions.  Not too long ago, I had a absurd amount of points and was feeling generous, so I used my points to get Brad a subscription to Wired magazine.  He loves it particularly the electronic version for his iPad.

Okay, so, after all that unnecessary background, I bring you to my feminist harp on Wired magazine.  Wired claims to write for a general audience.  I can go along with that if they'd just admit they think a general audience is made up of males.  Oh, well, I am forgetting that one product review of vacuums, which incensed me.  That might've been for women.  They may claim to be a general interest magazine, but who are they fooling? 

In their May issue, do you think they had a special Mother's Day spread about how to be a Geek Mom?  No.  In their June issue, do you think they had a special Father's Day spread about how to be a Geek Dad?  Oh, Yea!  And, to put salt in the lady parts, they had a small, itsy, bitsy inset about how Geek Dad's can de-princess-ify their daughters.  The rest was devoted to how to do this and that with your son.

Wired does have female editors and writers, and I'm going to guess that none of the males affiliated with the magazine (seeing as how it is progressive in tone) would say they are insensitive to women's prescence in a world of technology; however, if this is so, let female editors and writers have stronger roles and more power.  I think Wired is still dumb to the fact that girls can be techy and geeky too.  Technology is not a no girls allowed treehouse, buggers.



No comments:

Post a Comment