Friday, September 7, 2012

Target Employee of the Month

I was at Target today picking up two belated birthday cards and two other cards that will be late by the time the recipients get them.  Those were the only things I went in there to buy, and, it took me about five minutes to pick out the cards, but I ended up doing the Target mosey for about an hour.  I picked up and put in my cart a Pyrex lidded casserole dish,  a 3 lb bag of candy corn, a bottle of Essie nail polish.  Then, I did the Target mosey back to put away all the items after getting realistic.  I don't cook casseroles; I don't need to eat 3 lbs of candy corn; and I jsut bought an bottle of Essie nail polish.  I did put the items in their proper places.  After all, I wasn't at Walmart where you can put back that TV you bought on top of the soda refrigerator by the check-out line.

After putting everything in its proper place, I went to check-out.  It was really busy for a weekday afternoon and there was only one check-out open.  I'm estimating there were about 15 carts filled with things and my cart and I were like we should mosey more.  At about that moment, an employee working in the snack and beverage restaurant area came over and opened a check-out.  That has never happened!  I went to her check-out and was second in line.  I said, "You're a good employee!  I can't believe you came over here and opened a register.  I bet none of your co-workers would do that!"  She said, "Oh no, they'd be playing in the popcorn and turning their head."   I laid on the appreciation probably too thick, but I wanted a good job to go noticed.  I left thinking I sure wish I had a company, so I could have told her I'll pay three times what you're making if you'll come work for me. 

I've been known to write letters to companies who have exceptional employees.  Yes, I'm one of those freak people writing letters to a person who probably doesn't give a fig about what Vicki Williams has to say, but I did get a free t-shirt out of it once.  Brad and I always stay at Motel 6 when we're traveling, because Cash can stay with us at no charge.  One night when driving cross-country, we were greeted by the friendliest man who gave us fresh towels and was really sweet and warm.  When you pull into a hotel at 3:00 AM after driving 700 miles the last thing you want to deal with is a rude person.  You're at a tipping point enough as it is, and your next move is unpredictable and likely to be nasty.  I ended up writing a letter to management at Motel 6.  It probably made no difference, but, hey, I wanted to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment