Monday, September 17, 2012

Product Review: Too Faced Primed & Poreless Powder




A while ago, I was in Ulta picking up some Loreal True Match Foundation of which I'm a loyal consumer.  I've used every department store big name foundation you can think of, and I still return to this drugstore diamond.  I grabbed my foundation, W5 (sand beige), and I started to wander about Ulta, and that's never a good thing, because it means I'm going to spend more money and, once again, live above my means.  If the 2008 financial crisis taught us anything, it taught us that living above our means is a no no. 

I made my way over to the Benefit and Too Faced collections, and I started to look at the powder.  That's when I found Too Faced Primed & Poreless Powder.  I was first drawn to it, because it's a loose, translucent powder.  I'm a huge fan of a translucent powder, because there's no skin tone matching.  Good translucent powders are hard to come by.  I used to use Clarins translucent pressed powder, but I quit using it, because I became dissatisfied with the appearance of a pressed powder.  At that point, I switched to a cult favorite, Coty loose powder.  I prefer a loose powder, because a loose powder gives you more of a finishing touch whereas a pressed powder is, in my opinion, more make-up layering.

Of course, I bought the Too Faced Powder, so how'd it stack up?

It's weightless, and it's like fairy dust or the dust you'd find in a fairy's home or unicorn breath or whatever.  It's just that magical.  It's a very finely milled, quality powder.  You can tell a good loose powder by how milled it is.  The finer the better.  I use it last to set my make-up, and it does fight shine.  I have major grease slick, and this product does wonders for that.  As for fine lines and wrinkles, it doesn't settle rather it smooths, and it does help with the appearance of pores.  I have reddish discoloration, and I think it works well for that flaw too.  It really does brighten, freshen, and liven up the face.  I couldn't believe the results. 

One thing I want to caution about is that the name is somewhat misleading.  I wouldn't use it as a primer.  A primer is intended to prepare the skin for make-up application, but this powder isn't going to do that. Buy a separate product for that.  Make no mistake, this is only a powder.  I don't think it can be double-timed, but it does a ridiculously good job as a powder.  It's the queen powder of all powders.

The package appearance is bananas, and I die for it!  Get the Rachel Zoe shout out?  Okay, so, it is this baby pink color with gold detailing.  It's totally vintage and looks like it should be sitting on Marilyn Monroe's vanity.  While the appearance is fabulous, the container just pisses me off.  When you screw off the cutesy lid, inside there is this cheap, flimsy, plastic screen to keep the powder from falling out, and there are holes punched into said cheap, flimsy, plastic screen.  It is so hard to tap out enough powder on your brush, so what you end up doing is tapping it out into the lid, and you still waste.  At 28 dollars, wasting is the last thing you want to do with this product. 




I'd give the powder four out of five stars.  The only reason why I don't give it five is because of my complaints about the container.  Other than that, well worth every penny!







3 comments:

  1. I've been on a makeup kick lately....I think the impending wedding and the idea of countless events involving photos of yours truly have me all paranoid. I've bee leery of translucent because I was worried it wouldn't help mask my face and forehead birthmarks (growing my bangs out again, and paranoid about the forehead one)...but man, this is a glowing review! But can you believe there is no Ulta in SLC?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the cream version of this and it's okay.. i might have to check out the powder one! thanks :)

    vickyhoang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, can't wait to check it out! x


    www.theprettylilthingsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete