Thursday, September 13, 2012

Honey Boo Boo's Mama's Sketti Recipe



I'm low brow, and I make it a point not to miss an episode of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.  Don't judge me.  I feel you judging me.  In last night's episode, we see Sugar Bear, Honey Boo Boo's daddy, taking her to The Fun Factory for some skee ball and skating. Sugar Bear wins Honey Boo Boo enough tickets for a pink and purple inflated gavel. Weird a gavel, I know, and like that young'in amped up on Red Bull and Mountain Dew needs a gavel.  Then to skating.  Sugar Bear ends up putting Honey Boo Boo's skates on the wrong feet reminding me of when my dad used to unsuccessfully try to put my hair in pony tail.  Sugar Bear gets her stable and up on her feet, and they take to the rink with their skating trainers-PVC pipes connected into a triange with wheels to steady yourself and lean.  It was basically a walker on wheels.

In keeping with the episode's theme of family time, we get to cook and eat dinner with the family.  Mama, June, is cooking up everyone's favorite, sketti.  While TLC cues in a swelling score of Italian opera, Mama is using an ice cream scoop to spoon out margarine from a Country Crock tub.  Then she fart squirts ketchup into the glass bowl holding the margarine.  At that point, I truly am feeling pretty queasy with a gag and dry heave imminent.  The mixture is melted in the microwave, and June browns hamburger meat and boils the pasta while she tells us that she can feed the family of six on $80 a week, and she tries to cook dinner at least once a day.  When the sketti is ready, each family member spoons out his or her helping in a mish mash of bowls, and heads to the living room to sit on their brown sectional sofa and flip through TV channels.

The family collectively brags on June's cooking and repeatedly talks about sketti being a favorite meal around the house. It's sweet, and it's apparent as I watch the show more that they do genuinely love and enjoy each other, and TLC has enabled them to do some things outside their home that they otherwise couldn't afford to do like a day at the water park, spa day, pageant training, an above ground pool, and good times at the Fun Factory.  Of course, I can't overlook that TLC has given them the funds to partake in these activities for good TV material.  Without it, the show would be little more than bodily functions and bad table manners shared amongst a loving, crazy, Southern family.

2 comments:

  1. The sketti sounds really good. Here's a review of the show that I have mixed feelings about. http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2012/08/here_comes_honey_boo_boo_and_the_history_of_the_hillbilly_in_america_.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the article! Michelle Dean got it wrong. She's just the kind of person I wouldn't want to lunch with, and, let me add, she got off on topics that I don't think are even germane to Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. I'm also not convinced about the whole world going to shit, so we tune into shows that make us feel better about our station argument. She's overthinking, and, with a show like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, overthinking totally misses the mark.

    ReplyDelete